Find Select Projects Easier

If you're looking for a specific project that I've done, please click here for a categorized list page.

Don't Forget To Leave A Comment

If an article interests you, please click below it where it tells the number of comments and leave one. I appreciate all input.

Get My Blog In Your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Scrollsaw, Scrollsaw, a Funny Realization

I was thinking today how I got started with scrollsaw work. For those of you who didn't read the post, it started around September of last year. My wife suggested buying me a scrollsaw for my birthday. My response was something along the lines of "What the $#%@ do I need a scrollsaw for?" I had never even seen a scrollsaw before, much less used one. Anyway, she bought me one anyway. Well, since I had it, I had to find a use for it. So I started out with a few simple projects. Those first few days, I felt like using a .44 magnum on that Ryobi. With some practice though, it got much easier. I really didn't fall completely in love with scrolling though till I bought my Delta. That Delta is now not just my favorite scrollsaw, but my favorite tool in the whole shop.

All that being said, it seems funny to me that considering I didn't even want a scrollsaw, that now my most used tool and I now have five scrollsaws in my shop.
I started with the Ryobi.
I moved up to a Delta that I had to track down and drive to Jackson to buy.
Then a friend give me an old spring drive Sears and Roebuck that was made back in the fifties. It's still a good saw after I cleaned everything up and made a few minor adjustments.
Then I bought a Craftman direct drive at a yard sale. I didn't need it, but I couldn't pass up the chance to try a different saw at a price tag of just twenty five dollars.
Then I recently bought another Delta. They were on sale really cheap and I figured that as much as I use the Delta, it wouldn't hurt to have a spare to use in case the other breaks down.

I guess I found out what the $#%@ I needed a scrollsaw for.

No comments:

Post a Comment