Find Select Projects Easier

If you're looking for a specific project that I've done, please click here for a categorized list page.

Don't Forget To Leave A Comment

If an article interests you, please click below it where it tells the number of comments and leave one. I appreciate all input.

Get My Blog In Your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, April 6, 2009

Rocking Iron Horse



I had built a couple of rocking horses. I had even done a rocking motorcycle. So when I seen the plans for the "Rocking Iron Horse", I just couldn't resist.
The plans for this called for plywood. I never use plywood on anything. I absolutely hate plywood. If I'm going to take the time to build something, it's going to be out of solid wood. As for kid's toys, I never use paint. After enough years, even the best quality of paints chip or peel. I use stain. For durability on my toys, every part is glued, then screwed down into a countersunk hole which I then plug and sand down smooth.
This train is built from cottonwood. It is close to four feet long. It is also heavy. I find that to be a good thing for several reasons. First of all, solid construction is going to naturally make it heavy. Beyond that though, the heavier these rockers are, the less likely a child can get it rocking wildly enough to flip over on it.
By the way, in the bottom picture, that is my youngest son, William Calvin, sitting on it.












No comments:

Post a Comment