Find Select Projects Easier

If you're looking for a specific project that I've done, please click here for a categorized list page.

Don't Forget To Leave A Comment

If an article interests you, please click below it where it tells the number of comments and leave one. I appreciate all input.

Get My Blog In Your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Monday, March 25, 2013

My New Angular Pen Idea

I woke up this morning with an idea on my mind that has to do with angles. I couldn't wait to try it out. First though, I had to turn a pen blank I had already prepared that was sitting on the bench. I am not complaining. It was a cocobolo blank. I recently received ten cocobolo pen blanks and have thoroughly enjoyed turning them so far. It is a beautiful wood to work with.
This is cocobolo with satin gold hardware.
 
 
Then it was time to turn my idea into a reality. I enjoy these random ideas because you never know how they are going to turn out. I try not to talk about the fancy firewood I sometimes make. Yes, some of my ideas wind up in the fire place.
I am not saying this is a completely original idea at all. I'm sure that someone, somewhere, has tried it before. It's like I always say, there's nothing new under the table saw. I often have these wonderful ideas that I later realize I happened to have seen somewhere before and simply had tucked away in my subconscious.
Anyway, my idea was to play with some forty five degree angles. These are just the first two test subject. I have several more variations of this same general idea to try as well.
The blanks are walnut and pecan. One is a pecan square glued in between two pieces of walnut with matching angles drawn and cut from both sides. The other is just forty five degree cuts made to walnut and pecan and then glued up.
Here is how the blank on top of the above photo turned out. I really like this design and will be trying my other variations soon. This first trial piece made me start thinking of endless possibilities once I seen how straight angular lines make for nice flowing curves on turned pieces. Hey, I bet I could work this idea into some bowls somehow too.
This first one is walnut and pecan with gunmetal hardware.
Here is the bottom blank from the photo above. It is pecan and walnut with satin gold hardware. I think every variation of this I like more and more. So I glued up my next idea related to this before leaving the shop today. Just wait and we'll see how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment