Find Select Projects Easier

If you're looking for a specific project that I've done, please click here for a categorized list page.

Don't Forget To Leave A Comment

If an article interests you, please click below it where it tells the number of comments and leave one. I appreciate all input.

Get My Blog In Your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Friday, March 22, 2013

Back To Bowls, In A Big Way

This turning thing is addicting. I have not posted much lately because I have been so busy at the lathe. After my little adventure into the world of pens, and a lot of practice, and then some more practice, it was time to get back to some bowls. However, I did not set out in the beginning to do the little tiny bowls I have been doing though. Those are great for potpourri or candy dishes. I began this journey though because I remember these large wooden mixing bowls my grandmother used to have. That's what I want to work up to.
My first few attempts at large bowls were glaring examples of what failure is. I don't give up though. I finally felt the confidence to try again.
This bowl is close to five inches deep, and eight inches in diameter. It isn't  a huge mixing bowl, but it is a giant leap towards what I want to learn to do. I was proud of it.
This bowl is made of sycamore. I did not have material big enough. So it is made of three layers of wood, glued up, and then turned as if it was one solid piece. I've seen a lot of other people doing these type of glued up bowls. So I decided to give it a shot and am very pleased with the results.
 
I wasn't ready to settle there though. Since I was using glue now, I wanted to do something that made a statement. I wanted something that would get attention.
So.
This bowl is the same size as the sycamore bowl, but it is made up of glued up strips of pecan. I used light and dark shades of the same wood, and randomly mixed them up in the glue up. I had to build this up in layers a couple of layers at a time. I had to work quickly as I worked with each layer to get it clamped back up before the glue started setting up on me. I was scared I would sacrifice strength if it was not clamped before the glue started setting.
 
Both of the bowls are finished with butcher block conditioner. I am not sure yet what is going to be my preferred finish for bowls that are to be used in the kitchen. I'm still researching and testing different finishes. I am trying to find something that gives me the look I'm after, while still being food safe. I have been told, and believe myself, that all finishes are food safe once fully cured. However, in this day and age, where over protection is the norm, I have come to the conclusion that on things such as this, it is better to err on the side of caution.


1 comment:

  1. If you want your ex-girlfriend or ex-boyfriend to come crawling back to you on their knees (even if they're dating somebody else now) you must watch this video
    right away...

    (VIDEO) Have your ex CRAWLING back to you...?

    ReplyDelete