Find Select Projects Easier

If you're looking for a specific project that I've done, please click here for a categorized list page.

Don't Forget To Leave A Comment

If an article interests you, please click below it where it tells the number of comments and leave one. I appreciate all input.

Get My Blog In Your Email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rocking Iron Horse

It's been a slow going as of late with this dreadful Mississippi heat and all, but here's my latest work, another Rocking Iron Horse. If any of you seen my previous ones, then you'll notice this one is stained a little differently. Yes, that red is stain, not paint. As some of you know, I don't like paint on kid's toys. All paint eventually peals, cracks, chips, or fades. Stain stays while also showing the wood's grain beautifully.
This train is made entirely of solid cottonwood. I never use plywood or particle board. All screws are countersunk and covered with plugs. The only exposed screws are under it, attaching the train to the rockers. I do this because I have had customers in the past remove it from the rockers and use it as a display piece.
Another big difference, even if it is hard to see on the photos of this one, is the mounting. In the original plans, it calls for a fore and aft board across the rocker runners to mount the train to. On my previous trains, I thought this to be a bit tacky. So, on this one, I installed pads under the frame to mount it with, therefore eliminating the runner boards. I like this style much better.
I chose this color scheme over the past ones, because I wanted to create a train that more resembled the old darker trains of the past. So, what do you think? Is this design and color scheme a keeper? Click on the comments tag below and let me know.
As always, if anyone wishes to purchase this one or has any other questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.



No comments:

Post a Comment